Go. Love. Serve. - Mark 16:15
Serve Day is an amazing opportunity to bless others and to be blessed as we go out into our community to show the love of Christ through real and tangible ways.
We encourage Connect Group Leaders to be thinking about the project they will host and ways their group can particularly make a difference in the greater Denham Springs area. If you are not part of a Connect Group, there are plenty of Serve Day ideas to consider doing as individuals, families, and friends. Join us in making a tangible difference in our community to show others the love of God.
- Leave treat bags and handwritten notes for your delivery drivers
- Offer to take free family portraits
- Do a prayer walk or prayer drive in your community
- Bottled water giveaway for road repair crews
- Donate school supplies
- Bring free lunches to construction workers and servicemen in your area
- Food delivery to homebound
- Plant a community garden
- Care packages for first responders, health workers, teachers, etc.
- Deliver small gifts to patients and families at the hospital (toys, care packages, etc)
- Voice record prayers for loved ones and text it to them
- Leave encouraging messages around town in sidewalk chalk
- Put together a dinner kit for a family in need
- Donate blood to your local blood bank
- Clean up a widow or single parent’s yard
- Do a community trash clean up
- Help with home cleanup or repairs for those who are physically or financially unable to do it themselves
- Do simple vehicle checkups for single mothers
- Clean up or help with new landscaping for a local school
- Deliver fresh flowers to the residents of nursing homes
- Build a wheelchair ramp for handicapped
- Place American flags at a Veterans cemetery
WHAT IS SERVE DAY?
Serve Day is our quarterly outreach event. It is an exciting opportunity for us, the local church, to go into our communities and love our neighbors. Whether through a Connect Group or by joining as individuals, families, or friends, come be a part of serving our communities and sharing the love of Jesus through simple, practical acts of kindness.
How Often Do We Have Serve Days?
Every 5th Sunday we encourage our Connect Groups and church members to participate in a Serve Day.
Does Serve Day Have To Happen on Sunday?
Absolute not. You or your group can pick a day to serve that best works with you or your group's schedule.
I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN SERVE DAY BUT I AM NOT IN A Connect GROUP. HOW DO I FIND A Connect GROUP?
The best way to get involved is through a Connect Group, and you can find the group for you by visiting our Connection Desk or by contacting Paul Keating our Discipleship Pastor at email@example.com.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE SERVE OPPORTUNITY planned AND MY Connect GROUP WANTS TO SERVE?
Our hope is that each Connect Group plans and participates in Serve Day. Look through our general ideas listed above and think about how your Connect Group or you as an individual, family, or friends can serve and make an impact in someone's life.
HOW DO I PLAN A SERVE PROJECT?
Get creative! Assess the needs of people in your neighborhood and in our local communities and plan a project that meets those needs. Check out our list of ideas and other options from local service organizations for ways to get involved. Learn more about project planning in our Serve Day Project Guide.
WHO PAYS THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH OUR SMALL GROUP’S SERVE PROJECT (SUPPLIES, TRAVEL EXPENSES, ETC.)?
Each Connect Group is responsible for the costs associated with their Serve Day project. We recommend spending time planning your project based on your group’s size and commitment level.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING ON SERVE DAY?
Bring any personal items you may need during your project: Serve Day T-shirt, sunscreen, drinking water, sneakers, a hat, etc. Your Small Group Leader can confirm any project-specific items you may need to bring: gloves, rakes, lawnmowers, tarps, work tools, etc. Work clothes are a good idea for serve opportunities requiring physical labor, and we recommend not wearing jewelry.
HOW WILL THE CHURCH COMMUNICATE ADDITIONAL DETAILS ABOUT SERVE DAY?
Connect Group Leaders and Co-Leaders will receive emails with Serve Day updates. Updates will also be made available through our church website under the "Join Us" menu.
WHAT IF IT RAINS?
If your Serve Day project is outside, make plans to have an inclement weather option available or be flexible to reschedule your project. Some possibilities include visiting a nursing home, serving at a local service organization, or cleaning classrooms at a local school. For indoor serve ideas, view our list of project ideas.
WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Your Connect Group Leader should have additional information about Serve Day, or you can email our Paul Keating, our Discipleship Pastor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Denham Mission Statement
"We exist to reach people with the gospel and lead them to be devoted followers of Jesus Christ."